I already went long on what my future entails, so let me just reiterate the bullet points:
- I have a Patreon;
- It will become a crucial source of income for me and my partner in about a year, maybe less;
- At last count, I have 13 Patrons and I need more. 10 times more at a minimum;
- I’ve committed to building more content in the form of enjoyable and informative posts on current and catalog cinema, and I’ve already been able to demonstrate that I can honor that commitment.
To thank my longtime subscribers and to encourage new sign-ups, I am running a Blu-ray/DVD giveaway. Here are the discs that I’m giving away:
Criterion Collection Blu-rays:
- L’Argent [new & sealed]
- Betty Blue
- Bitter Rice
- Breaking the Waves
- Chronicle of a Summer
- Godzilla [not the box set; Spine # 594 only]
- I Knew Her Well
- Ivan’s Childhood [new & sealed]
- The Life of Oharu
- The Manchurian Candidate
- Night of the Living Dead [new & sealed]
- On the Waterfront
- The Phantom Carriage
- Sweet Smell of Success [new & sealed]
- Sword of Doom
- 3:10 to Yuma
- The Uninvited
- Valerie and Her Week of Wonders
- An Autumn Afternoon
- Make Way for Tomorrow
There are almost two dozen other Blu-rays from other, non-Criterion producers. I won’t list them just yet. (I honestly don’t know if it’s worth the effort – if the Criterions there don’t light your fire, then honestly I don’t know.)
It begins today and ends February 15, 2020. If you are already my Patreon supporter, you are already entered. However, if you are a $1/mo subscriber, you can improve your chances of winning by changing your support tier to $5/mo.
If you are not a supporter of my Patreon, you can enter by signing up.
Because I’m not sure if this will work, the giveaway will be scaled to the response. Let me try and make this as simple as I can:
- If I get zero new subscribers between now and the end of the contest, I will simply draw a random name from my existing subscribers and send them one DVD or Blu-ray title of their choice, from the pool of titles I have set aside for the raffle.
- If my subscriber base grows, I will consequently scale up the giveaway to ensure parity between legacy supporters and new ones. If the response is considerable, I can see giving some grand prize where I send 3 or more titles, second prizes, and so on.
- Without dwelling on the possibles, I just want to repeat something, and that is, every new and legacy subscriber will have an entry in the raffle, but $5/mo subscribers will have better chances than $1/mo subscribers.
- I will use a spreadsheet and some randomizer algorithms to ensure no inappropriate preferential treatment.
Between now and the close of the raffle, I intend to write up a storm, so watch my page for that!