An exemplary test case for the modern auteurist: he makes Trash (to include producing two neatly profitable movie franchises: Death Race and Resident Evil) but his reputation is vindicated by a small cadre of faithful followers. While Anderson often works with second-rate scripts (some of which are his own), sewn into the fabric of outlandish, violent spectacle are compositions of mesmerizing intricacy and expressiveness. The atmosphere in his work is often antiseptic, yet pungently dystopian. He is one of a handful of directors for whom “pure style” is a legitimate enterprise.
What to see?
- Resident Evil: Retribution (2012) [Blu-ray]
- The Three Musketeers (2011) [Blu-ray]
- Resident Evil: Afterlife (2010) [Blu-ray]
- Death Race (2008) [Blu-ray]
- Resident Evil (2002) [Blu-ray]
- Event Horizon (1997) [Blu-ray]